Friday, April 24, 2015

Sew Creepy Quilt

Spiderweb gothic quilt

Last week I finished my very first quilt.  I have done patchwork before and am still in the process of doing a traditional Hawaiian quilt.  But, this is the first time trying some free motion machine quilting.

I am self teaching myself through the magic of Youtube and came up with this video of Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Co. doing a Lattice Quilt.  If you want to start quilting or even if you do quilt already, she has a wonderful series of videos.

Last month I ordered a bunch of fabrics from Fabric.com that consisted of spiders, bats, bugs and all that creepy good stuff.  Simple to do if you just browse the Halloween fabrics.  Let me tell you I have come to hate the color orange.  Either way, I ended up with a good assortment and voila!  Gothic quilt.
spiderweb goth quilt

The free motion quilting was a challenge to learn. After a few broken needles and some ripping of stitches I figured it out and made up a cobweb stitching.  It turned out pretty good.  It measures 50x60" and consists of 80 blocks.  I originally planned for 156 blocks but after cutting and sewing the blocks together and realizing how big it would be, I figured it would be too ambitious for a first quilt.  So, now I have enough blocks to make another quilt that would be similar.

As you can tell by the fabric I've used, it has also inspired my blog name.  Majority of the items I make have a darker touch to it.  I've decided that eventually I will open an Etsy shop and start selling things, haven't quite decided on what, but quilting is pretty fun for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment